Wednesday 18 March 2015

Wild by Cheryl Strayed a review.





Wild, a journey from lost to found By Cheryl strayed, is the real life story of a woman's battle to overcome grief, self-doubt and a broken soul, in a difficult and extraordinary journey that would see her hike 1,100 miles of the Pacific Crest trail, alone and largely unprepared.

My thoughts

I'm not normally the sort of person who would pick up a book such as this, but I was feeling in the mood for a bit of adventure and an inspirational woman to boot.

It was with nervous anticipation that I peeled back the cover and slowly began to let the words seep into my soul.

Very quickly, I found myself both amazed and astounded by Cheryl's brave honesty, as she poured her brokenness out, onto the pages before me.

I questioned if I could ever be so frank about some of the more painful aspects of my own life and felt awed by her ability to share some of her biggest mistakes, whilst openly admitting and accepting that they were indeed her fault.

This honesty; however, played a huge part in my ability to not only route for her, throughout her journey, but also to relate, understand and thus silently walk along side her as I read.

A quote from the book that I think shows Cheryl's mindset in the beginning is this:

"It seemed to me the way it must feel to people who cut themselves on purpose. Not pretty, but clean. Not good, but void of regret. I was trying to heal. Trying to get the bad out of my system so I could be good again. To cure me of myself."

~Cheryl Strayed~


To see the right to this picture and who took it click here


And that is exactly what she did on this epic journey, along the Pacific Crest Trail, a continuous wilderness of undulating mountains and wild expanses that stretched all the way from Mexico to Canada.

This book is the perfect book for anyone struggling to heal. Anyone who feels as if they are often on the outside looking in and anyone who has ever felt lost or alone.

It reminds us that anything is possible, if we just believe in ourselves and refuse to give up.

As a result of this, I give Wild five out of five stars and label it a must read for anyone who needs inspiring.

Love and hugs
Joss xx

No comments:

Post a Comment