Monday 16 March 2015

Contemplations of a fickle blogger

At the beginning of February, I decided to stop blogging with the belief that I might not ever come back to it.

There were several reasons behind my decision, but one of the biggest was the sense that I was posting on subjects of little worth in order to put a tick next to the box marked blog post.

The result was posts that were hurried and cringe-worthy, when re-read at a later date.

Not good!

Somewhere along the way, I lost the joy that blogging had once been. It stopped being about self-expression and became about numbers.

I thought this was what it needed to be. I believed that the more people I had who read or commented on my blog, the more chance there was that I would become a successful author.

That was dumb!

Mainly because I suck at self-promotion, and I suck at it because I have been on the receiving end of plenty of other people who, in my opinion, over-promote themselves.

The result, I have become one of those people who is always nervous to talk about my  work. To push it at people or in any way try to coax them into picking it up.

I hope they will. And I hope they enjoy it, but I'm not going to thrust it down their throat every spare minute of the day until they do. You see, my greatest achievements as a writer did not come from the reviews of those I knew, no matter how vaguely.
No! They came from the few people who contacted me, knowing nothing about me, other than the fact that they enjoyed my book.

Those people, were the ones who made me feel as if I had truly done something worthwhile. 

They were the people I wanted to reach and the feeling they gave me with their kind words, was the feeling I wanted to give other writers with my words.

This realisation made me decide that I wanted to be a blogger again, but a very different blogger than the one I had been before. 
I decided that there would be no more hurried posts, strict schedules or number fixations. And that I would post, when I had something to say, share what I felt was worth sharing and praise those who deserved praise.

So yes my blog is back, although written with a very different mindset than it was before. And though I cannot promise that what I will post, will always be of interest to you, I can say, that it will always be an expression of my true self. Of what I love, like, enjoy or deal with on a daily basis. And If at least some of it, gives you food for thought or a degree of enjoyment, I shall be happy.

So remember,

"...You cannot please all the people all the time."
~John Lydgate~


Or as my husband likes to say:
"If we were all completely alike, the world would be a very boring place."
~Dan Solheim~ 

Love and hugs all
Joss xxx

1 comment:

  1. Nice to hear from you Jossie. I am glad you have decided to blog again, sometimes a break and a change of track is an excellent way to move forward. And yes, we are all different so to try and please everyone all the time would be impossible. Do what works for you.

    ReplyDelete