Sunday 25 May 2014

Bridge to haven book review

I waited for the Bridge to haven, by Francine Rivers with baited breath, when I preordered it way back when. The date I would receive it continued to change until after a while I forgot all about it. So when it landed on my doorstep one morning at the beginning of May, I was over the moon.

I have been a huge fan of Francine Rivers ever since I read Redeeming love for the first time over a year ago. She is skilled at developing realistic characters, which are incredibly easy to relate to, because like most of us mere mortals, they are fighting inner battles with self doubt, misunderstanding and often a sense of unworthiness, but her stories are far more than just great characters. They are incredible journeys of self discovery.

In bridge to haven the story begins with a young woman in labour, searching for a hidden place to have her child, it's early in the morning, people are starting to stir and she's fearful of being heard. She heads for the edge of town, see's a bridge that crosses a river and settles for the dark space beneath.

There, the rushing water muffling the young woman's moans, a child is born and there she is left, as her mother hastily covers her with a jumper before fleeing back to car.


             


Now, I'm not one for spoilers, so I'm going to do my best to tread carefully from now and tell you my thoughts. 

First of all the book gripped me from the off and that longing to know more didn't fade as the book went on. 

It was also an  incredibly believable read. At no point did I think, well that's a bit far fetched or a little to convenient, but then I never have, when reading a Francine Rivers book.

As always I loved Francine's characters and her honesty, because she admit at the end of the book that she had an internal struggle of her own, whilst writing, in wanting one of the characters to be too perfect, to good, but of course, she fought the urge and instead made the character in question, human like the rest of us, but no less lovable in my oppinion.

Bridge to haven focuses on the imperfections of each and everyone of us. The mistakes we are destined to make in order to grow, the lows we have to face, the highs we forget all to easily and the defining moments in our lives, that open our eyes so that we may grow.

I loved this book and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a read that's got a little more substance. 

I'll deffinately be reading it again. 

Love and hugs 
Joss xx






2 comments:

  1. I love that cover! Such great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great read. I love complicated characters. And that cover is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete