Monday 28 October 2013

Person independent payment assessment

So, today, I had my PIP assessment and knowing lots of people still have theirs to come, I thought I would share my experience. First of all; from signing up for PIP to having my assessment has taken nearly two months. It would have taken longer had I not called up, trying to find out what was happening and then offered someone's cancellation.

The appointment itself was at a medical centre in Holsworthy Devon. Disability access was good for the most part, as long as you don't have a wider wheelchair. We encountered one door we couldn't get through.

The appointment took about an hour. I was asked lots of questions about my disability, all of which, in my opinion, were very reasonable and what you would expect, such as how you manage on a daily basis? Do you have good and bad days and if so, how many in a week and how many in a month?

You need to take a form of identification with you, also; a driver's license, passport, birth certificate or marriage certificate.

They ask you to perform some simple movements, depending on the extent of your disability, but they were very good about realising what I couldn't even attempt to try with my back. 

The woman I saw was lovely and really helped to put me at ease. Obviously, there are many different locations, so not all will be as easy access as this probably, but the assessment was fine, in my case, and mainly just reviewing what I had already put in my forms. Now, I just have to wait and see if they accept my claim or not, fingers crossed.

As a final quick note, I also made the last payment on my mobility scooter, today, so it is officially mine now. YAY!!!! 

4 comments:

  1. I will keep my fingers for you too. Your post was lovely, and quite touching. Keep us posted on how everything goes! You write very well, and always something to think about...sharing your own experience with your issue to help others. Sandy sandysmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Sandy. I really appreciate your lovely message. :)

      Delete
  2. Also keeping my fingers crossed for you. And congratulations on making that final payment! That's always such a great feeling. :)
    Best of luck and I hope you get good news soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, yes I was over the moon to make my final payment very excited.

      Delete