Monday 16 September 2013

Winter's coming

I woke up this morning to rain and wind. Yuck! It seems to be a repeating theme of late and l have already begun to pull my winter clothes out and layer up.

Kye, too, is feeling the cold and has started pulling his hood up over his ears as we wait at the bus stop each morning.


I take pleasure; however, in having had a really pleasant summer this year. Even if it did get a little too hot at times, it was preferable to the long, hard winter to come.

It's hard to believe that once winter was my favourite time of year; when, now, I just long for it to be over. The snow that seems inevitable these days can leave us stranded in our small village as it quickly makes the lanes with their hills impossible to drive through. Flooding in the lanes from the heavy rain of winter also creates its own problems. 

But, by far, the worst thing about winter is the dreaded wood burner...

...my greatest enemy! It hates me and I hate it. The hours I have spent trying to coax this horrible beast to life are unbelievable. Once going, I'll admit it's pleasant, extremely so, but the effort it takes always leaves me longing for the day when I can have a home heated in a simple way that requires just a flick of a switch. 

My husband, infuriatingly, seems to have a knack for getting the beast going that I just don't possess. As a result, we both have very differing opinions about the greatness of a real fire. 

I'll admit I do enjoy the crackling noises and flickering light, as well as the glorious heat that it throws out. I especially love seeing all my dogs and cats curled up together in front of it on a winter's eve; but, still, I wish that it would be a little nicer to me when it comes time to coaxing it into life.

So, here's a question for you. What do you prefer; a real fire or a fake fire, and why? And, if you prefer a real fire, have you actually ever had one and experienced the hell that is trying to force the thing to life? Finally, what do you prefer winter or summer, and why?

Well, it's nearly time to get my son to the school bus. We're laying up, as I type, and praying that the little bit of sun we can see holds until we are both safely back in the warm. 

Wishing you all a cold and wet-free day.

Love and hugs, 
Joss xx

No comments:

Post a Comment