Wednesday 25 July 2012

National Tequila Day!!!

So apparently, according to today's twitter trends, it is national Tequila day, now that's bound to make for a fantastic celebration and begs the question is tomorrow National hangover day?

Any who, I have had some very interesting Tequila experiences in my life and yes have even eaten a Tequila worm, however I was tricked into it, by my hubby.

Long story short, I am a very sensitive person, who doesn't like to see anyone's feelings get hurt and so while highly intoxicated on Tequila, my normal penchant for knowing when my husband is on a wind up was seriously lacking.

So when he explained to me in great detail, that I just had to eat the tequila worm because otherwise it was doomed to never achieve its life long mission, that for a Tequila worm is apparently only finished, when said drinker of Tequila eats it. I stupidly felt sorry for the Tequila worm and decided I must help it to achieve this dream and so I ate it.

Once I was sober, I felt somewhat repulsed but there is no accounting for sense or taste apparently, when you are paralytic.

Now, most of us know what Tequila is but probably very few of us know much about it, besides the fact that it is alcohol, it gets you very drunk and there is a worm in it, who probably would have much preferred to live out a long and happy life, then be dropped in potent alcohol, although, I imagine if you are gonna drown that might be the way to go about it.
(however like the worm it is probably much better if you don't and continue to live a long and relatively happy life.)

Any who, being that it is national Tequila day, I decided to try and learn more about this potent beverage and here is what I discovered.

Well first of all lets look at our little worm friend who apparently isn't a worm at all but either a type of larva called the Agave Snout Weevil, nice name huh or a type of caterpillar that were it not drowned in alcohol, would have grown into the Hypopta Agavis Moth.

I'm a little less bothered about eating the worm that wasn't a worm now, one less moth in the world sounds great to me because I can't stand moths, they scare the hell out of me. Flapping round your head like crazy as if they are yelling, I will kill you, I will. Ok, best not go there, me and moths just don't get on.

The best part about the worm though has to be that some guy, named Jacobo Lozano  Páez discovered in 1940 that the worms, that are not in fact worms, change the taste of the spirit. What I would like to know is what the hell was he doing when he discovered this, did he mistake it for something else, or just leave his glass somewhere and one fell in and he figured what the heck, I'm thirsty. Apparently no one knows exactly what happened, but might be a cool story game, how did the tequila worm that is not a worm get in the Tequila? 


plus side, the larva/caterpillar is now considered a delicacy and can be found on lots of restaurant menu's and you thought I was yuck for eating one, seriously delicacy. I think this might be in posh restaurant though, cause last time I checked my local fast food joint wasn't serving  Agave Snout Weevil burgers. 


I love the name of the Larva one, Agave Snout Weevil who ever came up with that was a genius. 


Gonna tell you something interesting now though, there is actually no Larva or caterpillar in Tequila, all of the above actually relates to Mezcal another Mexican drink, apparently, however saying that, it definitely said Tequila on the bottle from which I ate the Agave Snout Weevil. Sorry I just like saying its name, because really it could have been the moth baby I ate. 

So either someone forgot to tell this to the manufacturer of the Tequila I drank or they just put them in now because so many people think it should be there. Either way I don't know, but apparently it is only meant to be Mezcal that contains the Agave Snout Weevil or his/her little friend. 

Agave Snout Weevil

How this became a delicacy is beyond me or how I ever managed to eat one. Ewwwww, so there you have it, a little bit about Tequila or not as the case might be. 

Sorry Agave Snout Weevil only Mezcal for you. 

hope you enjoyed my little bit of fact and that none of you get tricked into eating one while your drunk. 
love and hugs Joss xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment