Sunday 11 December 2011

Nipple Vasospasm, through pregnancy and beyond

While pregnant with my son I suffered terribly with Nipple vasospasm, which at times, was so painful, I was left in tears. I quickly worked out that the warm heat rising from our small fire brought fast relief and so throughout my pregnancy, I could be found kneeling in front of the fire, my top stretched out to catch the warm air.
I assumed that once my son was born and no longer breast feeding, the problem would go away, but I was very wrong.
My son is now five years old and I still suffer from nipple Vasospasm, in fact have had it both today and yesterday, pretty badly, my treatment now is in the form on a microwave teddy, which I warm up and then cuddle to my chest, for quick relief, but although I have searched hard for information as to why this has continued so long, all I can find is information related to nipple vasospasm when breastfeeding or pregnant.
Nipple vasospasm is where the tip of the nipple changes colour, in my case to white, and in some cases, such as mine, causes extreme pain, in and around the nipple, it occurs in cold weather mostly, and is caused by blood vessel’s constricting or tightening. It can also occur in fingers, although I’ve never experienced it in my fingers personally.
What I would like to know is if there is anything you can do to prevent nipple vasospasm in the future, besides wearing extra layers? Which, quite frankly, has never worked for me.
Love and hugs
Jossie Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment